Let us look at some examples of compound complex sentences
Note that the independent clauses are highlighted in blue; dependent clauses are highlighted in green and coordinating conjunctions are highlighted in red.
- He called the security guard and he checked the room for items which have been stolen.
- Jackie, who is a friend of mine, came to our house today but she did not tell me that she is going aboard next week.
- You have finished your work which I assigned to you yesterday, so you may go home now.
- The young man was considered a hero, for he was successful in arresting the murderer who had killed an old woman.
- If you think you can do it, just go and do it but do not complain later that I didn’t warn you.
- He left and I never saw him again, nor did I regret that I lost him.
- This was not the car I liked but I had to buy it since I did not have enough money yet my wife liked that car.
- Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
- Among the many reasons which make me glad to have been born in England, one of the first is that I read Shakespeare in my mother tongue. [Note that this is only a compound sentence & not a compound complex sentence as there is only one independent clause]
- Those who look into the practical life will realize that fortune is usually on the side of the industrious, as the winds and waves are on the side of the best navigators. [Note that this is only a compound sentence & not a compound complex sentence as there is only one independent clause]
- I have no sympathy with the poor man I saw, who committed suicide yesterday as he confessed that he killed his wife, but I am sorry about his kid.
- We had in this village a girl whom I remember, who from his childhood showed a strong liking for bees [Note that this is only a compound sentence & not a compound complex sentence as there is only one independent clause]
- I am satisfied with things as they are, and it will be my pride and pleasure to hand over my estate to my children as I received it from those who preceded me.
- He is a fine gentleman who never speaks of himself except when compelled, never defends himself by a mere retort; he has no ears for slander or gossip and he interprets everything for the beast.